Monday, January 18, 2010

Societal and Personal Shift

It's funny that as everything in my life apart from my job has been turned upside down in my own life that's it's happened on a much larger scale for society with the Great Recession or whatever you want to call it. I just read an article called '17 Ways Consumers Are Changing' and as I read it not only did the changes seem to be good things, like less waste, frugality, less credit card debt and more cash and smaller is better, but I seemed to be doing most of the things listed. I'm in a smaller house, smaller car, volunteered the most I ever have, moved away from brands, and even though I still collect movies, I'm coming close to selling all my CD's since I've copied all the files onto a hard drive and my I-pod and I've even been thinking about getting rid of a lot of my books. The last one on the list, though, has hit me like a shot today. 'Redefining Success' and saying that it's not about money and things anymore but doing something you actually want to do and feel satisfied with. One of the reasons I was so down last year was because what I had been defining as success, tons of money and a gigantic house, were gone, but now it shouldn't seem as necessary and as time goes by it won't. Even when I was in that big house, driving the SUV and not worried about money ever, I still thought, 'did I need all this and is this what I really want?'. That last entry is talking specifically about my job. We've been losing people and you can tell that they are trying to restructure things so that they can 'lose' more but I was thinking about that. What if I lost my job? Would it be so bad? I'm making the most money I've ever made in my entire life but I'm not happy. I'm only happy when I'm up on the stage playing for people and hanging out with good friends. What I should do right now is think about what I really want to do. I had discussed possibly getting my teaching certification finally and I know that I love to explain stuff to people, especially the young and the next generation coming up. Part of my reevaluation of my life should not just be my psychology and my love life, but it should also look at how I'm spending the rest of my life with my career because it's something you do every single day until you retire. I have a lot to think about.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, but if you wanna be ugly, don't because there's enough of that in the world. Please try and be constructive and the same courtesy will be returned.