Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Farthest Right

I've seen several stories this week about incumbent Republicans being challenged this year by folks even further to the right than the incumbent already is. In every story I see the same byline, the newcomer riding on the coattails of the public just hating whoever's in power right now, accusing the incumbent of not being liberal, but NOT CONSERVATIVE enough. Over and over I see them accusing the incumbent of voting with liberals as if trying to get things done and coming to the middle or compromising is a bad thing instead of acknowledging that that is how things have been done for the whole history of this country and why it's worked for the most part. In fact, the more the two sides got together the more things worked and more things got done. This is taking the us vs. them ethic to the extreme. What worries me is that in a year where it seems the general consensus among voters is to replace every single person currently in office and Dems are currently more in number, that we're going to get a complete flip flop back to Republicans in power. These new guys claim things like the 'tea party' groups aren't necessarily Republican, but they are DEFINITELY not Democrat or liberal so likely as not they will vote Republican or worse, something even further to the right than that. If that happens then the groundwork will be laid for something even worse happening in '12. Do I personally trust either side? Not really since our country SHOULD have more than just two parties to choose from, BUT I DON'T want a takeover by people that make even Cheney look like Ted Kennedy! At that point I would have to leave the country but why should I have to leave the place of my birth and let me make this perfectly clear...these kooks are NOT a majority of Americans, but they yell the loudest and keep the rest quiet. What I'll probably do instead if their little 'revolution' happens, is make damn sure I'm part of the next revolution that actually puts forth what the majority wants, and that's for the sides crap to end and for people to really work together to get things fixed for real and not just for now but for the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, but if you wanna be ugly, don't because there's enough of that in the world. Please try and be constructive and the same courtesy will be returned.