Saturday, December 26, 2009

Fight Club and 9/11

I don't know if anyone's thought of this before now (they probably have) but how similar events that happen in 'Fight Club' occur two years later on 9/11. Tyler even calls where they are 'ground zero' before the buildings implode. I'm pretty sure that whether is was Bin Laden in the mountains of Afghanistan or some element in our country that did it for real, they had to have been planning it way before the movie came out in the Fall of '99, BUT the book is older. Granted, there are big differences, like using planes, but hitting our financial district and just the act in general, sent us from a surplus just the year before to a recession! It wasn't as bad as it is now, but pretty bad. I wondered if maybe someone that read the book got the idea to set it up on our side, but lets say it was an anarchist that would have been excited at what happened around the same time the movie came out, the WTC riots in Seattle. I highly doubt they would want what occurred after 9/11, the crackdown on our country by our own government. I mean, watching 'Fight Club' is to also be reminded of how lax security was before 9/11. A lot of people hate this movie, but I l0ve it and my main reason is it's commentary on consumerism, not capitalism, consumerism. Advertisers getting us to work jobs we hate to buy shit we don't need...direct quote from the movie. That pretty much sums it up. The only things we need are some sort of shelter, water, food, and I'll even through love in there but definitely the first three in order to actually survive. The rest are ideas put into our head from birth of things that we WANT. Part of me wonders if instead of doing what Tyler does in this movie, go to a monastery and give up all possessions and cut it all off that way without any violence. I want to be able to turn off this hate machine, but with peace. Unfortunately I like a lot of Americans am such a violent person. I want to not care too much about things especially those that I cannot control. Surely there's a way. Music can only go so far. Writing can only go so far as can film. And leaders become kidnapped by money, power or both. I hope I live to the day if ever that peace can truly reign.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment, but if you wanna be ugly, don't because there's enough of that in the world. Please try and be constructive and the same courtesy will be returned.